Monday, April 13, 2009

Are You a Techno-Constructivist?

This article is very interesting and it made me take a long look at myself and teaching style. If I had a choice and with the choice the ability and availability to all the resources needed to accomplish this I would be 100% a Techno Constructivist! So as I evaluate where I stand by looking at the steps provided, I find myself between steps 3 & 4 , and that I believe has a lot to do with the limitations in terms of technology, do not take me wrong the school I work at is very technology oriented, but our computers to a point are not up to a par with today's scientific virtual labs and software, besides that the availability of use to all students even pretty good still is not enough for us as teachers to become total technology based in the classroom.

As any science teacher knows , we need periods during the day just to set up our labs and equipment to have good lab assignments, this period is on top of the so much need "prep" period that regular teachers have to get their lessons plans put together. If I was to have a complete approach to a techno-constructivist lesson I would also need additional time to research and prepare such virtual, constructivist and innovative lesson plans and the resources to make them a reality. As the budgets cuts keep reaching everyday our classrooms I can't see us expanding the needs any time soon, and this is not only a shame but frustrating, because we go and get all these professional development so we can improve in the quantity and quality of what we do in the classroom so we can encourage critical thinking, research and open forum, but we are sent back to the classroom empty handed in terms of support and resources.

No comments: