Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Sweet Taste of the Fruits GE 555 !

This week a went on a job interview at Essex County Community College for a Science Teaching position during the summer at their Summer Youth Program. As in every job interview the normal chat chat goes on about your past job experiences and what are my interests, what can I bring to their program that other might not. Imagine my surprise when the lady interviewing says and I quote" I love your use of the computer and technology in your classes, it it very obvious you have great computer skills and are up to date with technology in the classroom" ! I was puzzled since I had made no mention of computer or technology skills for that matter, so I asked her "what do you mean?" to which see responded, we saw your classroom web page and well organized and updated it is, how everything from classroom rules, to home works , notes and important dates are posted for students to see. We also were curious about the web quest assignment and open it.! As it turns out I had placed my classroom web page on my resume and they actually went ahead and check it out! Using her own words again " it is a great idea to have a web page, I wish more teachers had one and include them in their resumes, it gives those of us an insight of the kind of teacher you are, also the different types of assessment you use.

WOW! DR. Luongo , it seems like all the things we learned in class and that I created and started using has more value and use than the classroom and students. Never in a million years would I have thought it was a way to let others from a distance to come inside my classroom to see what I do. You should be very proud of the knowledge you are sharing.

That's all I wanted to share, just thought I pass this one to all of you!

4 comments:

Dr. Luongo said...

Wonderful!!!!

Let us know what happens with the job!

Ron's Blog said...

That is indeed great news, and way to go in marketing your sites!

As it relates to the final outcome, Dr. Luongo "stole some of my thunder".

Please let us know if you ultimately land the position - Good luck!

mmdspc said...

I hope you get the job - I am thinking about you - you are such a nice lady! This was great news.

Donna said...

Oh Let us know the outcome. I wish you all the best. Have a wonderful summer. I enjoyed reading your blogs this semester and look forward to keeping up with your continued teaching success!